( A big market in the center of Tokyo)
Tsukiji fish market (築地) is a market not only for fish but also fruits and vegetables in the center of Tokyo. The inner Tsukiji fish market will be moving to Toyosu but the date is not decided yet.
( Outer Market will remain available.)
About Tsukiji Fish Market.
Tsukiji Fish Market is separated into 2 areas. The Inner market and the Outer Market.
- The Inner Market
Tsukiji Inner Market is famous for the Tuna Auction and the number of visitors to the tuna auction is limited to 120 per day.
For those who wish to visit Tuna auction, firstly please apply at the Fish Information Centre at Kachidoki Gate. The application starts at 5:00 am (first come, first serve) and people will start lining up since 4:00 am in the morning.During the holiday season, the line might starts at 2:00 am.
The tuna auction is conducted twice, around 5:20 and 5:40. ( 60 visitors per auction.)
( The atmosphere at Tsukiji Tuna Auction.)
Before you plan to visit Tsukiji Tuna Auction. Make sure you check it is open for visiting
Visiting the Inner Market Wholesale area
The Tsukiji Inner Market consists of many small stalls where buyers and sellers doing their trading.
There a few strict rules while visiting this fish market.
- Do not use flash while taking pictures.
- Do not smoke. ( Only smoke in smoking areas.)
- Do not wear like you’re planning to go to a nightclub! It’s a fish market!
- No big luggage or items which could block their operations. (Tsukiji fish market is a very crowded area. Bringing a luggage would be strongly dis-recommend.)
- Do not catch Pokemon and trespass limited areas.
For Outer Market Information, please visit the next page. Click here